One of the best ways to learn about insect and disease problems that effect plants is a hands-on approach. OGIA Hosted one of 5 remaining Walkabouts for Industry Professionals.
Roni Petersen is in charge of Membership and Certification for OGIA and organizes the Walkabouts.
Tim Malinich, Assistant Professor from The Ohio State University
and Thomas deHaas, OSU Agriculture and Natural Resource Educator for Erie County Extension
led a 2-hour Walkabout at Schedel Arboretum in Elmore, Ohio.
The group consisted of professionals from local nurseries, garden centers and landscape maintenance staff.
The Schedel grounds provided and excellent opportunity to investigate insect infestations, diseases, turf weeds, and a variety of unique and exotic plants.
The group had to look long and hard to find problems as Jess Saffran, the Horticulture Manager and Grounds Superintendent, along with his staff keeps the ground nearly pest free.
The grounds are fabulous and highlight water features,
a variety of plant materials,
and annuals and perennials.
The grounds are open to the public for a fee and the arboretum is available to host weddings and events.
Schedel Arboretum and Gardens contact information is:
Future Walkabouts include:
- Columbus Zoo & Aquarium Diagnostic Walkabout on July 2nd , 2023
- Greater Cincinnati BYGL! Smale Riverfront Park Diagnostic Walkabout on August 7th, 2023
- Summit Metro Parks Diagnostic Walkabout on August 10th, 2023
- Greater Cincinnati BYGL! Boone Co Arboretum Diagnostic Walkabout on September 11th, 2023
- Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Diagnostic Walkabout on September 21st, 2023
Registration information is attached:
Cost is $45. with the code DW23
So, consider joining for an upcoming walkabout.
Pesticide credits are available.