This is the 3rd 2013 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Pansies and Violas); Perennial (Large Flowered Trillium); Woody (Saucer Magnolia); Vegetable (Asparagus); and Weed (Hairy Bittercress).
2. HORT SHORTS: Woodlot Invasives (Honeysuckle, Privet and Multiflora Rose); Voracious Voles; and But I'm Not an Orphan! (Baby Wildlife)
3. BUG BYTES: Firewood Beetles Flare-Up (Banded Ash Borers, Painted Hickory Borers, and Locust Borers); It's Springtime and It's Tick Time (American Dog Tick); Planning to Protect Ash Trees from EAB - Timing is Important; Digging Deeper
Discussion: Getting All Oiled Up: Dormant Oil vs Horticultural Oil; and Windshield Wipes (Eastern Tent Caterpillar and European Pine Sawfly).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Dang Scab-It (Apple Scab).
5. TURF TIPS: Spotted Lawns? (Nimblewill) and Holey Moley (Moles).
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Be on the Lookout for Ambrosia Beetles and Possible Avoidance of Oak Wilt - Cease Pruning.
7. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update and Growing Degree Days (GDD).
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Wildlife Conflicts Workshop; New Applicator Training, Fulton County; Ohio's Non-Native Invasives; Tree School; and Ohio's Invasive Species Series, June 2013, OSU Mansfield Campus.
Lead Editor: Curtis Young; Contributing Authors: Pam Bennett, Joe Boggs, Julie Crook, Jim Chatfield, Erik Draper, Gary Gao,Denise Johnson, Ashley Kulhanek, Tim Malinich, Cindy Meyer, Amy Stone, Marne Titchenell, Danae Wolfe, and Curtis Young.