This is the 7th 2013 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'); Perennial (Allium or Ornamental Onion); Woody (Sassafras); Vegetable (Sweet Corn); and Weed (Wild Onion).
2. HORT SHORTS: Weather Note; Freeze Damage to Fruit Crops on May 13; Rarely seen by the Uninitiated; and Still a Good Time for Birding.
3. BUG BYTES: "Flying Ticks" Return (Yellow Poplar Weevil); Boogie-Woogie Aphids (Beech Blight Aphids); Holey Thistle! (Thistle Tortoise Beetle); Black Locust Blooming - What Else is Happening (Bronze Birch Borer and Emerald Ash Borer); Emerald Ash Borer Awareness Week; and Windshield Wipes (Erineum Patches (Eriophyid Mite)).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Beech Anthracnose.
5. TURF TIPS: Wildlife Around The Home: Skunks And Moles.
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Treatment for Gypsy Moths has Begun and Get Your Green Industry Fix Webinar II.
7. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update and Growing Degree Days (GDD).
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Southwest Ohio BYGLive!; Buckeye Lady Beetle Blitz (BLBB); and Ohio's Invasive Species Series, June 2013, OSU Mansfield Campus.
Lead Editor: Curtis Young; Contributing Authors: Pam Bennett, Joe Boggs, Julie Crook, Jim Chatfield, Erik Draper, Gary Gao,Denise Johnson, Tim Malinich, Cindy Meyer, Amy Stone, Marne Titchenell and Curtis Young.