This is the 16th 2014 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Fountain Grass); Perennial (Daylily); Woody (Beauty Bush); Vegetable (Kohlrabi); and Weed (Yellow Nutsedge).
2. HORT SHORTS: Something Is Eating My Tree?!; You Might Like These Cooler Temperatures But Some Of Your Vegetables Don't!
3. BUGBYTES: Mimosa Webworm Populations Are Spinning-Up; Tomato Woes; Hornworms; More Tomato Woes: Blister beetles; Potter Wasps; A Beautiful Beetle (Dogbane Beetle); A Trashy Spider (Trashline Spider); Windshield Wipes - Squash Bug
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Moist Chamber - Vascular Wilts, Downy Mildews and Cedar Quince Rust.
5. TURF TIPS: Wide Range of Weather Conditions Impact Turf Quality; Nutsedge Flourishes
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: A Two-Pest Diagnostic Challenge - Calico Scale and Honeylocust Spider Mites; Gypsy Moth Update
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Perennial Plant Association Perennial Primer; NW Ohio Green Industry Summer Session-August 6, 2014; Pesticide Safety Training-August 27, 2014; Plant Trials Day at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden; Farm Science Review; Pesticide Safety Training – September 24; Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Training-October 8, 2014; The 87th Ohio State University Green Industry Short Course (Formerly the Nursery Short Course) December 9 – 11, 2014.
9. BYGLOSOPHY. Prayer Of The Woods