This is the 24th 2014 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Ornamental Cabbage and Kale); Perennial (Windflower); Woody (River Birch); and Weed (Common Ragweed).
2. HORT SHORTS: No Report.
3. BUGBYTES: Fall Webworm Wrap-Up; Baldfaced Hornet Blitz; and Windshield Wipes (Oak Plum Gall, Baldfaced Hornets, Yellowjackets and Oak Bullet Galls).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Botryosphaeria Canker on Redbud and Tubakia or Not Tubakia...That is the Question.
5. TURF TIPS: Gray Leaf Spot in Ohio and Grub-A-Dub-Dub (Whitegrubs).
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Late-Season Pine Sawflies.
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Farm Science Review; Pesticide Safety Training - September 24; Special Training for Green Industry Professionals: Asian Longhorned Beetles (ALB); Special Training for Master Gardener Volunteers: Asian Longhorned Beetle; Arboreatum Feast, Part Deux: Maple Syrup Tasting is Added to the Mix!; Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Training - October 8; The 87th Ohio State University Green Industry Short Course (Formerly the Nursery Short. Course) December 9 - 11; and Tri-State Green Industry Conference.