This is the 8th 2013 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Calibrachoa); Perennial (Peony); Woody (Red Horsechestnut); Vegetable (Green Beans); and Weed (Cressleaf Groundsel).
2. HORT SHORTS: Fruit Thinning in Apples; Squirrel Litter; and Dog Vomit Slime Mold.
3. BUG BYTES: Annual Maple Leaf-Drop Commences (Maple Petiole Borer); Scarlet Oak Sawfly; Balsam Twig Aphid; Woolly Beech Aphid; Hydrangea Leaf-Tier Moth; Mosquitoes Buzz Ohio Landscapes; Pigmy Hummingbirds? (Hummingbird Clearwing and Snowberry Clearwing); Winter Honey Bee Loss; and Windshield Wipes (Columbine Leafminer and Luna Moth) .
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Black Rot Control in Grapes and Sycamore Anthracnose Heavy Again.
5. TURF TIPS: Billbug Control.
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Awareness Week and Get Your Green Industry Fix Webinar II.
7. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update and Growing Degree Days (GDD).
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Buckeye Lady Beetle Blitz (BLBB); Ohio's Invasive Species Series, June 2013, OSU Mansfield Campus; and Diagnostic Walkabout for the Green Industry.
Lead Editor: Curtis Young; Contributing Authors: Pam Bennett, Joe Boggs, Julie Crook, Jim Chatfield, Erik Draper, Gary Gao,Denise Johnson, Tim Malinich, Cindy Meyer, Amy Stone, Marne Titchenell and Curtis Young.