This is the 15th 2014 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Petunia); Perennial (Coneflower); Woody (Goldenraintree); Vegetable (Eggplant); and Weed (Canada thistle).
2. HORT SHORTS: Wildlife Happenings: Snappers, Red-tails, and Tiny Toads; Be on the Lookout for Barn Owls; and Now is the Time to Pick Farm-Fresh Berries!
3. BUGBYTES: Annual Dog-Day Cicada Emergence; Cicada Killers are on the Wing; Weird Willow Gall; Mossy Rose Gall on Multiflora Rose; Sycamore Seed Bugs; Striped and Spotted Cucumber Beetle; and Windshield Wipes.
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Anthracnose of Black Raspberries; A Berry Mummified Mess; Ash Leaf Spot; and Chlorotic Canada Thistle.
5. TURF TIPS: Red Thread Redux
6. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update
7. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Perennial Plant Association Perennial Primer - July 28, 2014; NW Ohio Green Industry Summer Session - August 6, 2014; Pesticide Safety Training - August 27, 2014; Plant Trial Days at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden - August 28, 2014; Farm Science Review - September 16 - 18, 2014; Pesticide Safety Training - September 24, 2014; and Wood-Destroying Insect Inspection Training - October 8, 2014.