This is the 28th 2013 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
BYGL NOTICE. This is the last BYGL (Beagle) for the 2013 season; the BYGL is retreating to its doghouse for a long winter's nap. We're sure we all agree: the 2013 BYGL season went too fast, doggone it!
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Perennial (Little Bluestem 'Blue Heaven'); Vegetable (Pumpkins); Woody (Black Tupelo); and Weed (Kudzu).
2. HORT SHORTS: Seasonal Needle Yellowing and Drop; Fall Clean Up for a Better Spring Garden!; Deer-Vehicle Collisions Peak in Fall; Be Prepared Against Winter Rabbit Damage; and National Grass Trials.
3. BUG BYTES: Mantids, Mantids Everywhere!; Lady Beetle Curiosity (Powdery Mildew Eater Lady Beetle); Ailanthus Archenemy (Ailanthus Webworm); and Windshield Wipes (Giant Bark Aphids).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Downy Mildew of Impatiens.
5. TURF TIPS: Time to Start Winterizing Turfgrass; Just Keep Mowing!; and Broadleaf Weed Control.
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Highlights from the 16th Annual Bluegrass-Buckeye BYGLive!
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Emerald Ash Borer University and 2014 Tri-State Green Industry Conference.
Lead Editor: Curtis Young; Contributing Authors: Pam Bennett, Joe Boggs, Julie Crook, Jim Chatfield, Erik Draper, Gary Gao,Denise Johnson, Ashley Kulhanek, Tim Malinich, Cindy Meyer, Amy Stone, Marne Titchenell, Danae Wolfe, and Curtis Young.