This is the 18th 2014 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Annual (Lobelia); Perennial (Russian Sage); Woody (River Birch); Vegetable (Pepper); and Weed (Crabgrass).
2. HORT SHORTS: Meet the Educator – Amy Stone.
3. BUGBYTES: Strafing Horseflies; Windshield Wipes (Chrysanthemum Lace Bug; Yellow Poplar Weevil; Praying Mantis; Nursery Web Spider).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Moist Chamber
5. TURF TIPS: Turf Tolerates Crazy Conditions!; YouTube Video.
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Asian Longhorned Beetle Awareness Month; 87th Ohio State University Green Industry Short Course.
7. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update.
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: 2014 Turfgrass Research Field Day - August 6; NW Ohio Green Industry Summer Session - August 6; Southwest Ohio Diagnostic Walk-About - August 11; Pesticide Safety Training - August 27; Plant Trials Day at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden - August 28; Ohio Plant Diagnostic Workshop - September 5; Farm Science Review; Pesticide Safety Training – September 24; Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Training - October 8; The 87th Ohio State University Green Industry Short Course (Formerly the Nursery Short. Course) December 9 – 11.