This is the 2nd 2015 edition of the Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL). BYGL is developed from a Tuesday morning conference call of Extension Educators, Specialists, and other contributors in Ohio.
In This Issue:
1. PLANTS OF THE WEEK: Perennial (Lenten Rose, Christmas Rose, Hellebore); Woody (Sassafras); Vegetable (Asparagus); and Weed (Poison Hemlock).
2. HORT SHORTS: Dig into Spring with a Soil Test.
3. BUGBYTES: European Pine Sawfly Eggs Hatch; Green Tigers on the Prowl (Six-Spotted Tiger Beetles); It's Never Too Early for Ticks; and Windshield Wipes (Eastern Tent Caterpillar, European Elm Flea Weevils, and Pollinators).
4. DISEASE DIGEST: Why Host Range Matters, Part 1 and Botryosphaeria Canker on Redbud.
5. TURF TIPS: A Turf of a Different Color and Mud Chimneys are Rising.
6. INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: Tis the Season for Gypsy Moth Hatch and Walnut Twig Beetle Confirmed in Indiana.
7. WEATHERWATCH: Weather Update and Growing Degree Days (GDD).
8. COMING ATTRACTIONS: Southwest Ohio BYGLive! Diagnostic Walk-Abouts; Pond School; Buckeye Lady Beetle Blitz & Good Garden Bugs Workshop; and The OSU Green Industry Short Course, The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Conference and Show, and Trees on Tap Programs.
******HOW TO: BUCKEYE YARD AND GARDEN LINE SUPPORT. The OSU Buckeye Yard and Garden Line (BYGL) writers need your support to continue this newsletter. OSU puts a great deal of resources into this project and do not receive funding necessary for full support. We know you like BYGL, as in the 2014 Reader's Survey respondents indicated BYGL saved them $2.45 million dollars, 96% indicated BYGL was useful in their jobs, and 87% indicated BYGL helped with their diagnostic skills.
Funds will support on-going work of the Ohio State University Extension Nursery Landscape and Turf Team in matters regarding preparation, compilation and travel for the weekly April-October BYGL e-newsletter. Expenditures will include but not be limited to equipment such as cameras, upgrades of computers and related devices, management of the website, editing and webinar costs, and travel reimbursements.*******
Here's how you show your support:
The fund number is: 315145
Name: Buckeye Yard & Garden Support
This is the link to the OSU giving site: https://www.giveto.osu.edu/makeagift/ .
Click on "search," then enter the fund number into the box. The fund, its name and description will appear in a new, smaller box. Click "Select this fund."
Then, you can either leave the default $100 in or change it; and fill out the remaining form (name, address, etc.). The form will walk you through. You can either do a one-time gift or recurring (monthly, etc.)
Also, if you would like to make a larger gift, please contact Jennifer Heller ( email@example.com ), the Director of Development for the OSU College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences with your name and contact information. Jennifer's cell phone number 614.975.1317 and she will be more than happy to speak with you.
***The BYGLer writing this entry, a most electronically-challenged sort, managed to donate $100 with virtually no problems, so it is indeed easy! You can teach a good-ol' Beagle new tricks!***